Hi,

Beacon is being used systematically. We even said we will integrate it in the
image for Pharo 5 at the end of last year, but after the agitated start of the
year, I did not push it anymore to not increase the level of agitation.

The only class name that encountered some opposition was BoundedBeacon.

We also agreed that the only things we want from SystemLogger were the concrete
connections to external storage. This was not done, but the idea was that we
should first integrate them and then allow people to extend it with bindings to
external storage.

I use Beacon on a regular basis, and I extended it recently with a couple of
more Signal types that can capture exceptions and stack information. You now
also have a better integration in the inspector to be able to start/pause an
in-memory log stream. In the process I also added the possibility to remove
Announcements from an AnnouncementSet and I would like to push this in Pharo
6.0. One thing I would work on is to add to Annoucements the possibility of
filtering announcements based on instances not just types. This is a longer
term plan.

Another thing to do is to ensure that the log signals are not expensive to
create. For example, the ExceptionSignal, ContextStackSignal and
MethodStackSignal manipulate thisContext right at creation time, while this
should happen only when we actually capture it in a BoundedBeacon to
manipulate/store it in a specific way. This part should be refined.

@Dennis: it would be great to join efforts. The two frameworks look similar,
but there are 2 significant differences:
1. SystemLogger has its own log events propagation mechanism, Beacon uses
Announcements.
2. SystemLogger relies on levels of filtering, Beacon uses the mechanisms from
Announcements to pick and choose at a fine grain level which log signals should
be logged.

For reference:
- repository: http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/Beacon

Cheers,