> On 19 Sep 2016, at 16:49, Nicolai Hess <nicolaih...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Am 19.09.2016 4:14 nachm. schrieb "Esteban Lorenzano" <esteba...@gmail.com
> >:

> not convert it to the literal array #(3 #+ 4) .

> pythondoctest is a bad idea
> are not really good...

> works with a special mode inside the ' '

> Or would you add this just for

> problem, as they are far

> Kieran arrays for C signatures in the UFFI, and can easily extrapolate
> here, that arbitrary Smalltalk expressions /can/ be expressed in literal
> arrays.  S expressions work for lisp.

> arrays in pragmas would be all that's needed to make the code look
> beautiful.  Why throw the baby out with the bath water?  It would be so
> easy to make this work well.
> >>

> >> We can try this as well. And it is far more easier to work with this
> expressions if they are pragma arguments, than to parse the comment to find
> some code within.
> >> On the other hand, it looks much nicer if we have the examples right in
> the method doc. you have some text describing the method, some code, some
> more text about the reslt.

> that the argument t is a literal Array and not some magic form of code:

> >> Yes, I would like to change this anyway, even for literal arrays for
> ffi, calls like
> >>
> >> mouseStateX: x y: y
> >>     <primitive: #primitiveNativeCall module: #NativeBoostPlugin error:
> errorCode>
> >>     ^ self nbCall: #( Uint32 SDL_GetMouseState ( int* x , int* y ) )
> >>
> >> this will be reformatted to
> >>
> >> mouseStateX: x y: y
> >>     <primitive: #primitiveNativeCall module: #NativeBoostPlugin error:
> 'errorCode'>
> >>     ^ self nbCall: #(#Uint32 #SDL_GetMouseState #(#int #* #x #, #int #*
> #y))
> >

> > this is ugly… also, it breaks the spirit of UFFI where the purpose of
> using the array literals to give a feeling close to the C method.
> > I already told before I disagree with this reformatting…. So no, I’m
> absolutely against forcing such kind of format.
>
> Where and when did you disagreed?
> I always thought this behavior of the formatter was like that from the
> beginning, and it wasn't changed afterward.
>
> My suggestion was, to change the formatter to *not* reformat these literal
> arrays, so we could at least use a pragma like
> <expr:#(3+4) res: 7>
> And don't have to use quotes. Or the ugly literal array form #(3 #+ 4)
>

> ah, then we agree :)

Generally speaking, reformatting 16rF0F0 into 61680 is never going to be a
good idea.
Same for carefully aligned arrays
  #(
     #( 16r00 16r01 16r03 16rFF )
     #( 16r00 16r01 16r03 16rFF )
   )
or #[
        16r00 16r01 16r03 16rFF
        16r00 16r01 16r03 16rFF
   ]

The canonical representation for these is absolutely unhelpful for a human.
The formatting expresses an intention (for example some data structure to
which the Array will be mapped...).
You can see plenty examples of things that should not be reformatted in
VMMaker.