Hashed collections keep a portion of the available memory empty (usually 25%)
as a partition mechanism to increase lookup speed.

"Normal array"
| col |

col := Smalltalk allClassesAndTraits asArray.

[ col includes: 8; includes: Morph ] bench. "'366.853 per second'"

"Normal set ~75% load"
| set |

set := Smalltalk allClassesAndTraits asSet.

[ set includes: 8; includes: Morph ] bench. "'4,700,967 per second'"

"Set forced to have ~100% load"
| array fullLoadSet |

array := Smalltalk allClassesAndTraits asSet asArray , #(nil).
fullLoadSet:= Set basicNew.
fullLoadSet
instVarNamed: #array put: array;
               instVarNamed: #tally put: array size.

[ fullLoadSet includes: 8; includes: Morph ] bench. "'215.157 per second'"

Best regards,
Henrik