Ugly. And old, really old. I remember at one point in time there was a
"squeezeNumberOutOfString" or something like that.

Now, I'd like to fix this, because it just introduces noise and probably a
lot of strange code. But the problem is not fixing it on itself, but
checking all possible users relying on such strange behaviour. I bet that
fixing it naively could lead to break your image :).