On 03/15/2017 05:33 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalization

to "capitalize" is writing a word with its first letter as a capital letter
(upper-case letter)
AND THE REMAINING LETTERS IN LOWER CASE writing systems.

So

  'SOMETHING' capitalized

currently returns "SOMETHING" in Pharo but should return "Something" according
to the definition to end up with lowercase.
If we fix this I guess we would also align Pharo with other languages, like C#
for example [1].

That wouldn't be what I would expect. Here's what dictionary.com has for capitalize:

        1. to write or print in capital letters letters or
        with an initial capital letter

That definition doesn't say what happens with the rest of the letters.

As for C#, isn't that someone's extension method for String and not a Microsoft method? I don't see that method on Microsoft's current String class documentation:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.string(v=vs.110).aspx

Also, the Uncapitalize method is inconsistent with the Capitalize method. The Uncapitalize method changes only the first character and all other characters are unchanged. However, the Capitalize method can change all characters.

Finally, Dolphin Smalltalk has an implementation that is similar to Pharo's:

https://github.com/dolphinsmalltalk/Dolphin/blob/master/Core/Object%20Arts/Dolphin/Base/String.cls

John Brant