After re-reading Ben's replies and following the link to the discussion
in the Squeak VM list I think I've finally understood this correctly.

I've updated the text based on Ben's input to:

--
This VM uses a separate heartbeat thread to update its internal clock
and handle events.  For best operation, this thread should run at a

cat <<END | sudo tee /etc/security/limits.d/VMNAME.conf
*       hard    rtprio  2
*       soft    rtprio  2
END

and report to the appropriate mailing list for your smalltalk dialect
whether this improves behaviour.

You will need to log out and log back in for the limits to take effect.
For more information please see
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/tag/r3732#linux
--

I'm seeing the message printed out three times, which is a little
strange, but haven't looked in to it.

There are two issues in fogbugz:

For the VM:
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19890/Linux-Heartbeat-VM-text-and-instructions
For the build scripts:
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19891/Suggested-improvement-for-linux-CONFIG-file

Given how close the 6.0 release date is and even though there is a
bug in the instructions for enabling elevated thread privilege, I've
marked this for Pharo 7.0.  Of course, if Eliot or someone else decides
to put it in 6.0, that's fine by me.  As before, if there aren't any
conflicting comments I'll submit the pull requests in a couple of days.

Thanks again for all your assistance,
Alistair