> On 13 May 2017, at 15:51, Thierry Goubier <thierry.goub...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Le 13/05/2017 à 15:43, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :
>>

>>> On 13 May 2017, at 13:16, Yuriy Tymchuk <yuriy.tymc...@me.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’m not a bit expert, but if you don’t use “metadataless” format
>>> everything works fine with monticello. I.e. each git commit
>>> contains all the mc history.
>>
>> yes, but with iceberg we did another choice: we force metadataless
>> and do not keep compatibility with monticello. this is like that by
>> design: keeping the metadata was too much noise and generated a lot
>> of conflicts we don’t want.
>
> The metadata-less format was experimented with before Iceberg because we knew
> that recreation of MC-compatible metadata out of the vcs log was already
> working.
>
> Then FileTree (and MC) was modified to make sure that the metadata-less
> format would be compatible with MC.
>
> Now, Iceberg has decided to be non-compatible with MC. But this has nothing
> to do with the underlying format.

Iceberg uses filetree metadataless as file format  (it uses even the same class
to do the write)  so what you are saying is not true ;)
What changes is that instead adding a random cypress.1 we add the a number
which is a timestamp of the commit.

>> So, using iceberg is not using git as “just another repository format
>> as http, ftp, etc.”. If you want  to keep both versions, then you
>> need to save in mc format then save again in iceberg (or viceversa).
>
> Which looks clumsy at best and at worse, will make the transition to Iceberg
> a pain.

I disagree.
the cost of keeping eternal backward compatibility is not moving forward.

And Peter did a very good tool to easy migrations that respect history.

Also, nobody is forced to use iceberg: you don’t want it, do not use it. You
still have monticello.