On Sunday 28 May 2017 02:09 PM, Ben Coman wrote:
Thanks Subbu.  That is a useful insight for me, but is about the
implementation.
My query was more about senders of basicNew, so is still open if you
have an opinion there, or anyone else.

It is just a private primitive for creating new instances. I don't think there is any restriction in the language that it should only be sent only from class-side methods. Only methods which are part of language implementation will send this selector and it so happens that most callers fall on the class side. You will also find instance side methods (operators) in non-trivial basic types like Colors or DateAndTime sending #basicNew.

Regards .. Subbu