On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 10:10 PM, Henrik Nergaard <draag...@outlook.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had a look at the Pharo 7.0 today and see metadata for methods (Author
> and timestamp) has been removed*, what is the reason for this?
>
> Having the ability to find methods created around the same time and/or by
> author is quite useful when fixing bugs in the core libraries.
>
> There is also quite a lot of history that is lost as well with this change
> (I am always impressed when I stumble upon methods over 15-20 years old!).
>

> Could this be reverted, please?
>
> [*] all methods have a stamp, but it is the same for all with only a
> timestamp from the bootstrap(?).

Hi Henrik,

I'm sorry about that, it's probably a side effect of the bootstrap. We may
have to track down the cause, so if you can help, it's most welcome :). For
that I can explain you the process as it is today:

 1st) We previously exported all code from Pharo to FileTree (Metadataless
I think). This step is not done anymore.
 2nd) We bootstrap from the packages on FileTree by first compiling methods
without metadata.

 3rd) We export all bootstrap packages from filetree to MCZ

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/blob/development/bootstrap/src/Pharo30Bootstrap.package/PBBootstrap.class/instance/exportAllPackagesIntoMcz.st

 4th) Once the first image is ready (without source code nor meta-data) we
install monticello and we reload all mcz files
        This regenerates the source code and should load all metadata in
mczs

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/blob/development/bootstrap/scripts/02-monticello-bootstrap/02-bootstrapMonticello.st

So either it is that the metadata is lost in Filetree because it is
metadataless, or it is lost in the intermediate conversion to mcz, or in
the loading.

Guille

--

Guille Polito