Hi Mariano,

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

> On Jul 24, 2017, at 9:21 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianop...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
>
> Is there a portable (that would work in GemStone too) and safe way to know if
> a String would be a block?
>
> I must support this kind of strings:
>
> 'singleString'   -> false
> 'multi string' -> false
> '      [:a | 42]' -> true
> '   '' ''  [:a | 42]' -> true
> '[:a | 42]' -> true
> ' "a commet" [:a | 42]' -> true
> ' WhateverClass someVeryBadHackishMethod. [:a | 42]' -> true
>
> I need to identify whether the string is a closure or not. And ideally, I
> don't want to do an #evaluate: because I don't want any left hand code to be
> executed.
> I tried with #parse:  why I am having problems.
>
> Any ideas?

Not sure if you're still stuck but if you dive into evaluate: you'll be able to
find the point at which it parses, and find out how to invoke the parser for an
expression (a doit).   evaluate: parses an expression so you want to check that
the resulting parse tree is that of a return node whose expression is a literal
block.  You can also check the block's argument count.

Once you've extracted the parser invocation you can wrap this in a suitable
exception handler.  Then you have your block parser.  You still have to
validate the parse tree and/or generated code before evaluating since someone
could write malicious code within the block right?