hi Dimitris (good to see you around ;) ),

thing is… we want to improve our tools.

And improve tools sometime means to add stuff (I’m not very happy with it
either, I would like to remove more than what I add, but it is like that). For
example, if we want to have good class comments, we need some markup format,
then the best thing we have is pillar and then we need a parser and then the
easiest to use thing we have is petit parser.

Which means we will need an image that have a core PetitParser and a basic
Pillar… so we can have proper documentation. Of course, maybe the full pillar
is too much (as it is the full petit parser, probably) so we need to think
carefully what we put inside and what we left outside. Same is with everything:
why to put athens, or glamour, or X, Y, Z. (things that few people use, but are
very important for our echosystem in general).

Now, along with this “bloating” movements, that adds more elements to the
system and because of that increases essential complexity, we are working on
the other direction: bootstrapping and modularising Pharo so in the near future
(it should be done for P7 or as late to P8) you will be able to create an image
with the elements you want.

Another thing we need to work on (but that’s in part documentation and in part
modifications to be done) we need to work on overall
availability/comprehensibility of the system.

So… we need to continue adding things, in order to continue improving. We also
need to remove a lot of things that are duplicated or obsolete.
Pharo will always be “the deliverable we make” (including all things we
officially support as “part of it”)… but we are making possible that everybody
can also do “the Pharo they want”.

cheers,
Esteban