On 9 March 2018 at 23:56, Pavel Krivanek <pavel.kriva...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi Pavel,

> by gcc).
> >>
> >> is it on 64-bit system and VM?
> >
> > Yep.
>
> I will check that, I guess some package is missing in this Ubuntu
> environment because I think I checked it on the same system without
> this issue.

I get the same...

$ gcc -c -m64 -o pseudoTTYLib.c.o
/home/ben/Pharo/images/Pharo-7.0.0-alpha.build.674.sha.57447e7.arch.64bit/pharo-local/iceberg/pavel-krivanek/terminal/lib/pseudoTTYLib.c
$ gcc -shared -m64 -o pseudoTTYLib.so pseudoTTYLib.c.o -lutil
/usr/bin/ld: pseudoTTYLib.c.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined
symbol `fork@@GLIBC_2.2.5' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value

and it works with -fPIC
$ gcc -fPIC -c -m64 -o pseudoTTYLib.c.o
/home/ben/Pharo/images/Pharo-7.0.0-alpha.build.674.sha.57447e7.arch.64bit/pharo-local/iceberg/pavel-krivanek/terminal/lib/pseudoTTYLib.c
$ gcc -shared -m64 -o pseudoTTYLib.so pseudoTTYLib.c.o -lutil
:)

Interestingly, 32-bit works okay without -fPIC...
$ gcc -c -m32 -o pseudoTTYLib.c.o
/home/ben/Pharo/images/Pharo-7.0.0-alpha.build.674.sha.57447e7.arch.64bit/pharo-local/iceberg/pavel-krivanek/terminal/lib/pseudoTTYLib.c
$ gcc -shared -m32 -o pseudoTTYLib.so pseudoTTYLib.c.o -lutil

The reason being... "Not only does gcc encourage you to use PIC for shared
libraries on x64, it requires it by default."
https://eli.thegreenplace.net/2011/11/11/position-independent-code-pic-in-shared-libraries-on-x64/

>>> - The example code in the TerminalEmulator class comment references
> >>
> >> Thanks, this class was renamed
> >
> > To PseudoTTYEndpoint, it looks like.

It took me a few minutes to catch up, so for others, the following works in
Pharo7 build674...

win := TerminalEmulator open.
(PseudoTTYEndpoint  command: '/bin/bash' arguments: {'-i'}) asProtocolStack
push:        TerminalEmulatorXterm new;
push:        win tty;
install;
run

> Cool!  The interactive terminal is up and running.

Ohhh, that is very cool!!!

Would something l like this be possible later? (It would make a good
promotion video)
1. Double-click an Ubuntu desktop icon that opens only this terminal window
2. From that terminal use some special syntax to issue commands to the
Image running it,
e.g. to open the IDE.
3. Make some modifications to the terminal code (like how colours are
displayed)
while the terminal is running.

cheers -ben