In Object yes (to default to the existing #printOn: implementation), but
there are several other implementors of #displayOn: that work completely
different (e.g. Collection, UndefinedObject, etc).

Nonetheless, I think the #printOn:/#displayOn: is a good practice, in my
Pharo classes I "polyfill" what's missing to support it.

Regards!