> On 20 Apr 2018, at 11:01, Thierry Goubier <thierry.goub...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Le 20/04/2018 à 09:09, Stephane Ducasse a écrit :
>> The underlying questions (sorry for people that need subtitles) are:
>> - how do we have a central place to declare projects
>>     - right now in Smalltalkhub/list is a nice way to find projects
>> with the move to github
>>     we should get a central place
>
> One of the issues I have with the Catalog is that it made a mess of the
> various MetaRrepo for Pharo... Showing in the end that the single place one
> should put a ConfigurationOf for Pharo is the squeak meta repo.

not really.
if you put your project in the squeak meta repo it will not even be listed (is
old stuff and we are not listing those).

the idea was to add a project in its corresponding development repo. But is an
uncomfortable way, yes (and it was a patch, not meant to last)

> That in addition the Catalog doesn't even use the best package management we
> have at a given point is just salt rubbed in the wound.

that’s a one method change. Instead:

loadConfiguration
        Gofer it
                url: self repositoryUrl;
                configurationOf: self name;
                load

loadConfiguration
        Metacello new
                repository: self repositoryUrl;
                configuration: self name;
                load.

when I made catalog, Metacello usage was not so expanded.
Yet… gofer will use metacello to load so, yes, it will use the best package
management we have at the moment.

>> Christophe has been working on project repository and we should check
>> what he has.
>> @Christophe?
>> - how do we make sure that we can validated (I can load this version
>> of XMLParser in that version of Pharo)
>> -- in this version of Pharo what is the latest working version of this
>> package
>> - if people do not maintain/add "configuration" into the catalog what
>> is the point?
>> -- How can we ease the participation to the catalog? Esteban I do not
>> care about the format.
>> Do you think that editing STON is easier than a class? I think that we
>> should have a button.
>> Look people do not care about posting their project into the repo.
>> May be we need a crawler?
>
> That would be an interesting concept, and maybe the right one, if the
> alternative is updating a cryptic JSON format each time you commit something
> in your project.

very unlikely.
a spec made in STON you just have to modify it each time you do a release
(which is exactly what you have to do now with configurations).

A crawler will not handle the need to publish a released version.

one STON file as I imagine would be something like:

project {
        “name” : "blah",
        “url” : "http://github.com/someone/blah
<http://github.com/someone/blah>",
        “lastVersion” : “v1.0.0",
        “description” : “Some project description"
}

and maybe a couple more. How’s that cryptic?
maybe you are confusing things?