Still, one of the conclusions of previous discussions about the encoding of
environment variables was/is that there is no single correct solution. OS's are
not consistent in how the encoding is done in all (historical) contexts (like
sometimes, 1 env var defines the encoding to use for others, different
applications do different things, and other such nice stuff), and certainly not
across platforms.

So this is really complex.

Do we want to hide this in some obscure VM C code that very few people can see,
read, let alone help with ?

The image side is perfectly capable of dealing with platform differences in a
clean/clear way, and at least we can then use the full power of our language
and our tools.