On Aug 30, 2010, at 1:06 10PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

>>> Why do you have to have your "own" library?
>>
>> Did I say "pharo library"? reread carefully I said an "open-source one".
>
> What I get from Andreas' words is that he's willing to make it open source if
> it won't be forked.

So, definitely not MIT then.
I guess that means the long-term plan of replacing HttpSocket in Squeak is out
as well?

>> We do not want to be in the situation that somebody can change the license
>> under our feet.
>> We want a library where people can participate. Now Pharoers will decide, I
>> think that we do not have problem
>> with sharing on WebClient. I can understand that people do not like that
>> they cannot improve an infrastructure
>> that they will rely upon. We do not want string to number conversion, and
>> rely on squeakToUtf.
>
> I think Andreas solved these issues with the WebClient-Pharo package, but I
> may be wrong.

If you call overriding String #, (to accept any object responding to asString
without raising errors) and Collection #ifEmpty: (to return nil instead of the
collection ifNotEmpty) "solving the issues" in Pharo,  then yeah, sure.
If you call (re)introducing #squeakToUtf8/#utf8ToSqueak instead of using
convertTo/FromEncoding: 'utf8', then yes.

Personally, I'd call it forcing Squeakisms on anyone wanting to use WebClient,
and potentially breaking any number of other packages.

The rest I have no problems with, most are fixes/convenience methods which are
already in, or should be introduced before Pharo 1.2 (for exampe the
SocketStream fixes )

Cheers,
Henry