InnoSetup is very non-intrusive and flexible.  The resulting installers have
options for silent and very silent installation, so yes, you probably can do
what you want with them.  Of course, Inno and resulting setups don't do
anything (or not much anyway) that can't be done from any software, but it does
a nice job of putting files in known locations, updating always, only if newer,
running software, etc.

As an aside, it's interesting to see the term "ActiveX" *still* being used.
This was something that MS was trying to kill a LONG time ago.  I'm
increasingly glad that I started tuning them out and focusing on the simple and
reliable vs. getting wound up in every new "technology" they tried to jam down
my throat.  I'm much happier on Linux.  But I digress.

One can use Smalltalk to generate inno scripts (for a good while, I used inno
to repackage MS' monthly patch madness (you had to be there...).  I had code
that abstracted adding files to be copied, executed, etc., or at least
something like that - haven't looked at it for a few years now.  With the
resulting script, run the inno compiler over it, and a nicely behaved installer
emerges.  It was preferable to what MS was doing at the time for various
reasons.

And of course, one can simply write a script using Inno's or another IDE, or
just a plain text editor.  I took that route for installing my Dolphin-deployed
executables.  The script generally did a "copy if newer" type of installation,
which worked well.  With every update,  would compile the inno scripts and send
the installers on their way.  The various target machines could then be told to
look for and install the updates.  After some nail-biting, the machines
generally would re-appear on the "grid."  Every so often I'd have to unstick a
box, but that was rare.  The real fear was hardware failures, which was the
most common reason that a machine failed to return to service.  Didn't happen
often, but it was bad when it did.

Bill