Well I am for one promoting the use of Gihub mainly on the grounds of
promotion of Pharo efforts. the more projects are uploaded on github the
more exposure Pharo gets.Its also possible to have both Smalltalkhub and
Github, we could use Github as a fallback, a backup system for Smalltalkhub
and have monticello automagically commit to both with a press of a button.

Github also offers a nice convenient way for issue tracking, bug reports,
feature request and forums. Gist is excellent for generating code examples
on the fly. Leveraging existing technologies means we can concentrate on
new features and new ideas. Also not having to maintain Smalltalkhub from
an operational basis is good news. We need to acknowledge that we are a
very small community that needs to take to account that we dont have the
manpower to afford Pharo specific solutions for everything and anything.
Especially for such demanding task as versions control. Every user that
comes to Pharo will ask "what new Pharo gives me to justify abandoning my
existing favorite choice ? ".

I take a look at previous experiments like squeaksource and I find little
justification to not support Github. But then I am not against Smalltalkhub
or other repos being available to Pharo. The more the merrier.

On the matters of payment , sure you can do that too, but as I said , we
are a very small community we need to be realistic about these things.

I think it depends on how you see Pharo for yourself. I see Pharo not as a
replacement but rather as an extension of available technology and I would
love to see Pharo play better and better with existing technologies not
just Github. Pharo is doing already this with Athens (Cairo) , NBOpengl (as
well as previous opengl implementations) , Amber (though external to pharo
, deeply related to it) and many more.

Saying that, I am also a fan of Pharo precisely because is not afraid to do
things its own way, try new fresh experimental ideas, go against the flow
and brake some rules in the process. So I think the secret of success for
Pharo is between being a good supporter of existing technologies but also a
ground for bringing newones to the users. I will also love to see
Smalltalkhub expand and improve and I even see myself why not contributing
with my small effort to it.

As we say in Greece "anything done with precise measure is perfection" .