Am 23.04.2014 um 11:36 schrieb Stephan Eggermont <step...@stack.nl>:

>> Whoever compiled it deserves commendation. Nevertheless, in my opinion it´s
>> an issue to keep in mind for the future; distributions are likely to upgrade
>> their libc at >different points in time, and a good lowest common
>> denominator should be chosen with care, otherwise it´s not really "common"
>> at all.
>
> +1
>
> Well known issue. Heard about it first some 7 years ago, when a friend of
> mine, a FreePascal maintainer, commented:
> "Ubuntu is Debian unstable, it is not supposed to work”

Always depends on the view you take. I work with ubuntu for nearly ten years
professionally and I don’t have complaints. With debian a lot of installations
wouldn’t have take place in my case. And using debian would have forced me to
compile a lot of stuff because debian stuff is notoriously outdated. So if you
need new (and yes unstable stuff) you might be better off with ubuntu. Anyway
to relationship you draw about debian vs. ubuntu reminds of squeak vs. pharo :)

Norbert