Le 22 mai 2014 à 01:02, Johan Fabry a écrit :

> On May 21, 2014, at 5:07 AM, Christophe Demarey <christophe.dema...@inria.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> To me, it is preferable to add a configuration (even if very small) for each
>> dependency outside your project. It is the way it should be done (that's why
>> Versionner only allows that) but they are always other ways or workarounds.
>
> Thanks for the answers, my trick now was to ask Alex to include the required
> package inside the configuration of Roassal. :-)
>
> In general I am not so sure that adding configurations for one simple package
> are the way to go though. It seems like adding extra layers of indirection
> for reasons that are unclear to me.

The reason is that any package* should be self described. Your configuration
describes your project. If you use another piece of software, it should also be
self-described.
Let's take the following example:
for now, it's easy for you to add a direct dependency to Roassal2Spec, just as
if it was a part of your project ... => no problem
... but it is not. Maybe tomorrow, Alex will need to add a dependency to one or
more packages for Roassal2Spec => you will have problems because you will not
get these dependencies. Of course, you can still add them to your configuration
but you can easily see that you will end with a configuration including all
flatten dependencies, and with a lot of dependencies not directly related to
your project (transitive dependencies). Flatten dependencies is really
something that we should avoid, else maintenance of dependencies will be a hell.
That's why I'm really in favor of having configurations, even for one single MC
package inside the configuration.

* I mean, not a Monticello package but a piece of software that you want to
deliver independently. It may be a whole project or part of it. It may also
refers to one or many Monticello packages