The misunderstanding her is based in the error message of the ui.
when you write
^ - self width.
and save, the UI writes this text into the code:
^ only numbers may be negated ->- self width.

More helpful would have been something like: „only literals may be negated with
- use <object> negated instead“.

I was irritated and on the wrong track because I was absolutely sure that self
width is a number.

Regards

Max