Talking about the vision of Moose: The stated goal of Moose is to enable an
engineer to craft a data analysis in under 15 minutes, whatever the
analysis: metric, query, clustering, visualization, browsing etc.

The goal of Moose is to enable an engineer to craft a data analysis in
under 15 minutes ... whatever the analysis: metric, query, clustering,
visualization, browsing etc.

On the one hand, this will change software development. For example, you
should not manually search for code or objects. Instead, you should build
tools that do it for you. The core idea around the Glamorous Toolkit is to
offer a moldable development environment that allows you to do just that.
This is not a regular toolkit, but it one that embodies a new philosophy
for software development.

On the other hand, we want to build pieces that are generic enough so that
they can be instantiated for any domain while still being accessible. For
example, we think that one should not require a PhD to write a
visualization or to build an interactive browser, and we showed how this is
possible :). This is why it is so easy and inexpensive to build a
completely novel kind of inspector that capture the imagination quite
rapidly. And at this point, people did not even pay much of an attention to
the moldable debugger :).

It's true that we are not where R is in terms of number crunching analyses,
but we have other things around interaction and analysis composition that
are quite unique. We would indeed benefit from more R-like capabilities,
but at this point Moose does no longer play a catch-up game. It is forging
its own separate place that others start to look at. And this is possible
precisely because Moose is almost indistinguishable from Pharo.

I do believe we are sitting on a goldmine, and that it is up to us to
exploit it.

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com