Hi Paul,

These are some vm memory allocation issues that exists on windows vm too and are more related to your approach which is discutable than to a real vm problem. Suppose you have tomorrow to deal with all North American based health care providers including Canada or even add South America or the rate not being 95% , data won't fit in memory, even with 2G or 4G may be even with 16G.
I saw the same approach and kind of problems in dotNet.

Let say it's your current requirement, and you want to do it like that, a trick that may help you : during personal experiments about loading data in memory and statistics from databases, I found that most often 70 to 80 % of real data is the same.

If you really need to load that in memory, you can intern all your data in a dictionary.
Very simple to do:
at the beginning or you processing.
                | internedData |
                internedData := Dictionary new.
And for each field, before storing it in your array:
                field := internedData at: field ifAbsentPut:[field].

This will of course add some extra processing time but I guess it should be ok.

:)

Regards,

Alain