There was a promise long time ago that RTalk will be released soon enough
and never happened. The difference with RTalk is not that is just smalltalk
language on JVM , which frankly I dont care that much, but also the entire
IDE, basically they replaced the Smalltalk bytecode with JVM  bytecode and
the rest is just smalltalk probably with the exception of few parts here
and there.

Porting code to JVM and Javascript has 3 issues

a) you are no longer able to use the libraries of your popular
implementation (see Pharo) unless you wrap those libraries with something
like JNA (a ffi for JAVA)
b) most people would not use JVM unless if they have to and in most cases
it will be more likely their code will be written in JAVA so they use JAVA
c) JVM and Javascript languages are notorious for being slow , so once
again fall back to JAVA and Javascript

So those language ported to JVM act mainly as scripting languages, you got
a JAVA app which is probably quite big and you port small parts of it to
that other language to make your code more managable and less verbose.

Python started similarly as a scripting language for C and then C++ , again
for similar reasons. As a language grow in popular the more it got its own
libraries ,, even though even back then it allowed for easy access to C/C++
libraries.

So overall I doubt that Smalltalk will ever be a big hit on JVM or
Javascript. The problem with smalltalk that other languages dont have is
that it comes with an IDE , which is both a blessing and a curse. The last
time I checked Pharo was 200k lines of codes, that is huge for a dynamic
language. If we take out the IDE we lose a big advantage as developers, add
to that the fact that other IDEs have very limited supported for Smalltalk
and you end up as a not so cool situation especially if you are used to
code in Pharo. This is something I have against with Amber.

So the ideal scenario is for someone to do what Rtalk promised but that
would requires someone or some coder with very deep knowledge of the JVM,
So dont hold your breath.

My choice is sticking with Pharo, sure Javascript and Java are nice sirens
singing an irresistible song but I am not willing to give up the comforts
of Pharo just so I have access to Java and Javascript libraries. Tempting
but not that tempting.  Pharo is an excellent choice if you are a lone
coder and you want to be very productive which if you think of it is
completely diffirent to what the JVM aims for which is big coder groups and
big companies.

On the other hand if there is a real need for Smalltalk on JVM then sooner
or later someone will step up and start something. Right now from what I
see Clojure and Scala are the only two langauge that get some attention ,
again nowhere near as much as other popular languages but they still
somewhat popular. The thing with Clojure is that is not just lisp on JVM ,
there was already lisp for JVM called ABCL and never got popular, Clojure
became popular not because its lisp but because it targeted concurrency and
made it easier . If Smalltalk is to become ever as popular it has to bring
something similar to the table and I think concurency would not be a bad
idea either especially for those that are not big fans of lisp syntax and
prefer something like Smalltalk.