Hi Stef,

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 8:52 PM, stepharo <steph...@free.fr> wrote:

> Le 21/3/15 13:58, Tudor Girba a écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I fully agree with your API suggestions, but I do not quite understand
>> why you say that it is because of the scripting that the API does not look
>> like this. It's the opposite I think.
>>
>> When you "script" you want as succinct as possible (so, no moveBehind:
>> and stuff). And you want to gradually add details and not be forced to
>> specify them from the very beginning (so, good defaults). In fact, the rule
>> of thumb that I argue for is that a good scripting (and in fact any API)
>> interface is one that allows you to make a difference with any new line of
>> code. That means that, ideally, we would want every line to be able to live
>> on its own and not require another one. It's obviously not always possible,
>> but I find it helps me when I grow an API.
>>

> use the technique you want but to not dillute my point. I do not care how
> you do it.
> I care about having details away.

To me the feel that roassal gives me is that this is a tool to make demo to
> impress audience
> as to grow something, while I think that it could be a killer app with two
> faces:
> predefined compact api and a scripting way where you open the trunk and
> build your own.

A long script will not impress any audience. These are the same goals, not
different. The idea of builders (Grapher is such a builder) is supposed to
provide those levels (the basic engine can do everything, and the builder
provides a more constrained higher level API). I fully agree that the
current builders are not expressive enough. And I also agree that we need a
dedicated effort to just making them more compact.

We are fully in sync and I do not dilute your point, but I do not want to
leave the impression that "scripting" is something bad, or secondary :).

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com