"The *virtual machine* (VM) provides the environment where the Pharo system
lives. It is different for each operating system and hardware architecture,
and runs as a machine language executable in the operating system. It
implements the details of managing memory, executing Pharo byte-code, and
communicating with the world outside of the Pharo system: files, other
operating system process, and the network."

No the environment is the image, the VM is basically what its names says, a
machine emulated by software. The vast majority of tools, even the language
itself reside on the image. VM is there in order for the code to be able to
execute and to interface with the underlying Operating System. You could
completely modify the VM , for example move it to the JVM and still the
pharo enviroment would be intact.

"Hi Dimitris,
your formulation "...Pharo bytcode...and convert it to machine code..."
is insofar irritating to me as "convert it to machine code" would
suggest to me that a compiler is at work here. Davids "executing Pharo
byte-code" seems more understandable to me here."

Thats correct its a compiler, a byte compiler, it compiles bytecode to
machine code and it does it while the code executes, this is why its called
JIT , which has the meaning of Just In Time compilation, meaning that
machine code is compiled just before the code is executed so several
optimizations can be applied that would not be known before the execution
of the code. Similar to JAVA's JIT compiler.

Note here that a compiler is not just something that produces machine code,
a compiler for example can take one language and compile it to another
language.