Most important would be to check that what I do is compatible with how you
use Pillar. I'm leaving in the terminal all day, so the workflow that I'll
be pushing will be biased in that direction. (Hello, my name's Damien and
I'm a shell addict… Hello, Damien!)

It will be difficult to get a perfect makefile that can do minimal
incremental recompilations unless Pillar can export a proper list of
dependencies of a document (and even then…). I remember mentioning that to
Thibault and Yann but it doesn't seem to be there. In the meantime my goal
is to make it a bit more robust and to factor stuff as much as possible. I
also intend to make it self-documented, using this pretty nice trick:
http://marmelab.com/blog/2016/02/29/auto-documented-makefile.html

About the list of chapters in pillar.conf, for instance: if the document
has parts, then chapters are not a flat list; it's one of those things
where form is content is form…