I think the nub of your confusion is twofold. The method #at:put: is a keyword method and it isn't right to think o them as two keys. It is one compound key and unlike most every other system, Smalltalk keyword message sends allow the programmer to name each argument. This is very fine indeed.

The other item is in your thinking that these methods are defined in a prototype chain, like JavaScript. Primarily Smalltalk is a class-based inheritance system for method lookup on message send. What I mean by your example is that when the message #at:put: is sent, the system will start with the concrete class in question, Array, and attempts lookup of #at:put:. When this fails, it then traverses the lookup to the superclass (->ArrayedCollection) and so on on lookup failure (->SequenceableCollection ->Collection ->Object) and at the Object class, the lookup into that Class's methodDictionary succeeds. It tuns out that Object>>#at:put: is a primitive in the vm (#61) that is able to store into an Array object, a variable class and indexable, by the way. Consider the method Array>>atWrap:put: also calling primitive 61.

This may help with foundations: http://samizdat.cc/shelf/documents/2004/08.02-historyOfSmalltalk/historyOfSmalltalk.pdf

I hope this helps.