It's hard because very few people are curious by nature. It's people that
love to get out of their comfort zone. You cannot instill that to people ,
you either have it or you don't.

So the truth is , there is no step 0.

Let's be sincere here Smalltalk is by far the most anti mainstream
language. Plenty of people pass through these forums , all of the are
curious and interested , very few stick around. Took me two years to be
convinced to take Pharo seriously another two to let it replace Python.

The reply I wrote was a joke. I would never recommend Pharo over Python or
Ruby or even JavaScript. The Pharo path is a path of suffering and pain.
Sure it's fun but it ain't easy.

I was looking my entire life for something like Pharo , almost 30 years.
When I found it took me another 5 to realize this is it and I had many
close calls to abandoning it. But in the end I realized with its weakness
and frustrated moments I love Pharo.

To tell you truth even if I was to give up Pharo, today, it would not
matter much. Mainly because I can take the Pharo ideology to any other
programming language even the most ugly ones like Java, C++ and JavaScript.
I recently discovered how to turn C++ into a full live coding language with
almost zero compile times. Where there is a will there is a way.

In the end it does not matter how you code but why you code. The why is
deeply embedded in Smalltalk.