Hi,

Pharo 4 might be hard on MacOS Sierra.

There was a late change to the VM, at least for Squeak, to stop the black
screen on startup on Sierra.    Pharo 4 was before that change, and, for that
matter, before Sierra.  Pharo 5 was after and clearly has that change.

I'm pretty sure that the patches are one of these two:

[https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/...](https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/70ada3a6e4983891a5dae08f04169fd661a74913)

[https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/...](https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/f2b5cf27f81e50c65537972a89ddee9e0aac39c2)

and I'm almost 100% sure that the second is the magic one.

The simple solution would be to replace the VM in the Pharo 4 bundle with the
VM in the Pharo 5 bundle, but, alas, the VM in the Pharo 5 bundle can't read
the image from Pharo 4.

So it would look as if one's choices are:

* Build the version of the VM from the Pharo 4 bundle, but, apply one or both
of the patches above.
* Figure out why Pharo 4 is necessary and move to Pharo 5.
* Run a squeak V3 VM and hack something together.  This might not give the full
Pharo experience.

To run the squeak V3 do the following:

Download and unzip the newest Squeak V3 VM.

[https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/download_file...](https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/download_file?file_path=cog_macos32x86_squeak.cog.v3_201701140950.tar.gz)

Alt click on the CocoaFast app and choose open.
Quit.

Download Pharo 4.  Alt click on Pharo 4 and choose "Show Package Contents."
Navigate to Contents -> Resources.  Drag the "Pharo4.0.image" overtop the
CocoaFast app and it launches.  You do have startup errors, so, you now have
some time to play around.

I realize that neither look so easy, though the second one is probably the
wisest just because the Pharo group moves quickly.

cheers

bruce

I don't know yet Jeff. I don't have either a macos sierra at hand. Once
 a Mac OS Sierra user reported me the problem your are mentioning[1], but
 I did not get very far investigating the problem.

 For me it is not clear at all from[2] if there is any Mac VM 4.0. May be
 Esteban can enlighten us.

 [1] http://forum.drgeo.eu/DrGeo-pb-mac-os-Sierra-td402...
 [2] http://pharo.org/download

 --