You have a very strong point.
The problem you emphasised, without explicitly naming it, comes from the
image. Because the image preserves state it is also a great receptacle
and accumulator for entropies, and as we know entropies only increase,
never decrease!
The direct consequence is that, at some time, after some interactions,
installing code in some order, or installing broken code, an image
breaks, hit the ground and becomes unusable. The image limit is always
the chaos (as long as it is used as a living thing and its evolving
state is preserved, saved),

Entropies always comes with interacting 'living' system.

So Smalltalk image comes with this downside of entropies. I don't see
how you can bring argument against that to developer team, because it is
the Smalltalk weakness, as well its strong point. Very funny.

Of course you can try to limit entropies. Versioning your image is
probably what to do, for example host task could save version of your
image every two hours, daily, etc.

GNU Smalltalk took an original approach: it ships a minimal image you
don't modify and you install code on top of it. So really you never save
your image, entropies remains constant over time. This approach is not
really possible with Pharo.

Best wishes

Hilaire

--