I think the key to this is intention revealing names and comments. And shipping unit tests that are the best example of "running documentation".

Take Sven's NeoCSV package as an example. Great documentation and very good method names. and a complete set of tests.

Sounds frightening at first if you come from a static typing background, but in my experience it works quite well.

There are UML tools. Some even allow round-trips where the UML diagrams can be generated from code (e.g. IBM/Instantiations have the UML Designer add-on), but to be honest, these only put you in high danger of playing with the tool and layout and stuff rather than concentrate on what is important. UML is fine for communicating the raw structure and basic ideas. Generating UML from code on the fly can help understand code, but I've seen too many projects that made the UML design documents an art of itself, and most of the times the diagrams were out of sync anyways...

Just my 2 cents,

Joachim

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:jtuc...@objektfabrik.de
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1