Here's a hypothetical broken class method that does lazy initialization of a
class inst var:

fileTypes
        fileTypes ifNil: [
                fileTypes := Dictionary new.
                fileTypes
                        at: 'txt' put: 'Text File';
                        at: 'html' put: 'Web Page';
                        at: 'pdf' put: 'Portable Document Format File';
                        at: 'doc' put: 'Microsoft Word Document'].
        ^ fileTypes.

Because the assignment is done first and the initialization is done after with
a cascade of interruptable sends of #at:put:, there's a window after the
assignment where 'fileTypes' is not nil but also not fully initialized--a race
condition.

The fix is simple. Do the initialization before the atomic assignment takes
place, so the var is only ever bound to nil or a fully initialized object:

fileTypes
        fileTypes ifNil: [
                fileTypes :=
                        Dictionary new
                                at: 'txt' put: 'Text File';
                                at: 'html' put: 'Web Page';
                                at: 'pdf' put: 'Portable Document Format File';
                                at: 'doc' put: 'Microsoft Word Document';
                                yourself].
        ^ fileTypes.

The fixed code is still vulnerable to duplicate initialization, because the
initialization sequence is interruptable and 'fileTypes' is nil during it, but
as long as the initialization is cheap enough, has no side effects that
restrict how often it can be done, and it's enough that the initialized objects
are equal (but not identical), that's OK.

If it's too complex for a single statement, you can use a temp vars or put it
in a separate factory method:

fileTypes
        fileTypes ifNil: [
                fileTypes := self newFileTypes].
        ^ fileTypes.

Similar precautions (given how easy) might as well be taken with explicit
initialization of class state too. Of course if the object is mutated later (in
other methods), then Mutexes or other constructs are needed to guard access.
But for immutable class state, ensuring initialization is done before
assignment should be enough.