> In the end it is probably a matter of conventions.
>
> Instruction how to construct something (e.g. Spec)

Conventions and history, which maybe are the same thing :)

VisualSmalltalk/VisualWorks, Dolphin, VAST keep the definition of the
windows/panes in the class side, whether they're Smalltalk expressions
or binary/literal arrays (Dolphin).

In the case of Dolphin each "class method" defines a "resource" you
can have more than one layout for the same class, so you can have a
"read only" view (resource) and an "editable" view sharing the same
instance behavior.

Also, having it class side you can reference it/preview (rendered)
from other views without having to instantiate them, which might
require having a valid model, etc.

> / configuration information / descriptions
> / help information / examples are kept on the class side.

In fact I don't like that Magritte moved the descriptions from class
to instance side.

My two cents on this.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo