horrido <horrido.hobb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interestingly, I'm getting a fair amount of pushback on this. Personally, I
> think it would be very helpful to have a live (updatable, so as to keep it
> current) reference page for the class library, something that developers can
> easily look up what they need. After all, most of the power of Pharo comes
> from the class library and we need to make it as accessible as possible to
> less experienced Pharoers (i.e., beginners).
>
> Exploring the class library through the System Browser is very inefficient.
> This is further exacerbated by the fact that many classes and methods are
> simply not well-documented (containing a cursory remark which is just barely
> useful).

> I realize that creating a live reference page is not easy to do. In fact,
> it's a lot of work. But the absence of such a page is a real obstacle to
> Pharo acceptance.

I have a simple example compoared with python.

I want to programatically find the version number of current instance.

In Python I go to the document page e.g. <https://docs.python.org/3/>
and search for version. I get a pageful of hits which I can read and
find the snswer (ie sys.version)

For Pharo what search do I do?

You don't need to implement a seach engine Google, Bing etc can do this
and with a lot more resopuirces than Pharo can do,  but you need the
information in a restricted place e.g. one site. and it does not need to
be dynamic

The first thing I do for a new technology is RTFM.

--
Mark