I wouldn't start a flamewar on this, but being able to separate
equality and identity is important.

Otherwise we should have to remove #= or #== since of either is redundant. :)

If you're dealing with ORM having a good implementation of #= is
important, since you might have several instances representing the
same "abstraction" (I wouldn't call it an object). Then you have to
implement #hash as well.

What is wrong most of the times is the implementation of #= and #hash itself.
I remember that Eclipse for Java provides Herbert's required feature,
where it can coherent equals() and hashcode() functions based on the
attributes of your choice.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo