On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 9:40 PM, Ben Coman <b...@openinworld.com> wrote:
[...]
> If that is the one available from the Pharo Catalog, when I tried it, it
> used a different api than the libsodium library supplied by Ubuntu 16.04.
>
> It makes this call out...
>    crypto_hash_sha512_ref()
> but Ubuntu libsodium library did not export that, but instead...
>   crypto_hash_sha512()
>
> I failed to track down the implications of the "_ref",
> and at that time Crypto-Nacl did not supply a 64-bit library,
> so a single FFI matching the system supplied libsodium library was easier.
> Also as a minor policy, I prefer to use the system library than one compiled
> by a third-party.
>
> cheers -ben
[...]

Hi,

Yes, I recommend using the OS/package-manager supplied libsodium
(based on https://github.com/jedisct1/libsodium). The downloads
provided on Tony's site were based on early commits that exported the
"_ref" functions instead:

    commit e144f9d40d5695b69306bde729d6d8adcd62b1c4
    Author: Frank Denis <git...@pureftpd.org>
    Date:   Mon Apr 22 16:30:31 2013 -0700

        crypto_hash_sha(256|512) are the exported functions that have
to be exported.
        _ref are implementations, that shouldn't be exported.

To be useful, http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~tonyg/Crypto-Nacl/ should be
updated to use a system-supplied libsodium.

Best,

Mike