Yes, #ensureCreateDirectory is available.

I'd like to make sure a directory 'public' is available as a sibling
directory of the working directory (the directory where the Pharo
image is in)

However

    FileSystem disk workingDirectory / '../public'  ensureCreateDirectory

does not work as

    FileSystem disk workingDirectory / '../public'

is an instance of ByteStream. Seemingly there is no conversion to a
directory object.

I wonder what is needed in addition?