> On 16 Apr 2018, at 11:18, Marcus Denker <marcus.den...@inria.fr> wrote:
>

>> On 12 Apr 2018, at 17:18, Marcus Denker <marcus.den...@inria.fr
>> <mailto:marcus.den...@inria.fr>> wrote:
>>

>>> On 12 Apr 2018, at 17:06, Hilaire <hila...@drgeo.eu
>>> <mailto:hila...@drgeo.eu>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Marcus, Benoit,
>>>
>>> Nice to know. I was testing in a set up with both .changes and source
>>> files. So I was suspecting something like what your described. I can
>>> imagine in production code your feature to speed up compilation will be
>>> appreciated. For Dr. Geo and Smalltalk sketch, it is better to have
>>> variable names.
>>>

>> I should have a fix ready tomorrow.
>>

> I will for now revert the change:
>
>       https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/1199
> <https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/1199>
>
> This way it behaves as people expect, I have an idea how to provide an option
> for the faster way.
> This will come next.

1) added compiler option to compile with source embedded:
        https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/1200
<https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/1200>
2) then we can use this when evaluating, which avoids the double recompile that
we did:
        https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/1201
<https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/1201>

We regain now a lot of speed by avoiding the double recompile, which had been
the real source of the speed problem.

The pretty-print of course is still done and costs… so this could be
restructured further. e.g. we could add an explicit option to not pretty print.

        Marcus