Herbert Vojčík wrote on 3. 7. 2018 11:21:

Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote on 3. 7. 2018 10:55:

On 3 Jul 2018, at 10:08, Herbert Vojčík <he...@mailbox.sk> wrote:

Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote on 2. 7. 2018 16:00:
On 25 Jun 2018, at 12:56, Herbert Vojčík <he...@mailbox.sk> wrote:

Peter Uhnák wrote on 23. 6. 2018 15:39:
Hi,
I'm starting to familiarize myself with new streams, and one thing I've noticed is the removal of #lineEndConvention (which I use all the time).
So a statement like this
aFile writeStreamDo: [ :stream |
stream lineEndConvention: #lf.
stream << '...'> ].
has to be written like so
aFile writeStreamDo: [ :rawStream | |stream|
stream := (ZnNewLineWriterStream on: rawStream) forLf.
stream << '...'
].
which feels very messy because I am mixing writing with the configuration. And I don't even take account for buffered/encoded decorators. Plus it increases the incidental complexity -- I need another variable, and I can accidentally write to the wrong stream, etc. Would a method like #writeStream:do: (or #writeStreamTransform:do:) make sense? E.g. aFile writeStreamTransform: [ :stream | (ZnNewLineWriterStream on: stream) ] do: [ :stream |
stream << '...'
]

  aFile writeStreamDo: [ :rawStream |
    (ZnNewLineWriterStream on: rawStream) in: [ :stream |
      stream << '...' ] ].

As for transformation, I'd go for some more generic (functional?) approach like:

aFile writeStreamDo: ([:x | ZnNewLineWriterStream on: x] pipe: [ :stream |
    stream << '...' ]).
I like the first version with the (little known, but still standard and clear) #in: selector. I can't see how the second is 'better', as it looks equally 'complex' but adds a new selector, #pipe:
All this, IMHO.

It's a bit more focused on the task, that being transform incoming argument. Cf.

  #asString pipe: [ :aString | ... ]

instead of:

  [ :anObject | anObject asString in: [ :aString | ... ] ]

IOW, scope of anObject is limited (and if using #selector you don't even need to come up with a name, like the rawStream in examples before).

OK, maybe, what is your definition for #pipe: then ?

Basically something like this:

(BlockClosure | Symbol) >> pipe: aBlock
   ^ [ :arg | aBlock value: (self value: arg) ]

Now that I think of, it is basically nothing more than function composition, so it could have binary selector instead. That would save parentheses, so the example would look like:

  aFile writeStreamDo:
    [ :x | ZnNewLineWriterStream on: x ] ++
    [ :stream | stream << '...' ].

Herby

To separate the composition from the usage?
Thanks,
Peter