I have experience in other kernels and if  I am not wrong there aren't any
kernel that installs Jupyter at all. In the case of IRKernel, R installs the
needed packages and then you have to execute a command in order to make the
kernel available for Jupyter, please, take a look at
https://irkernel.github.io/requirements/.

You always need Jupyter on your system, a kernel is just a part in the
complete Jupyter ecosystem, a kernel is totally unuseful by itself.

Jupyter installs ZeroMQ because it uses this library to communicate with
kernels so you don't need to install ZeroMQ.

There are almost two ways to install Jupyter, in any case you need Python,
you can do installing Python and the PIP ( python package manager) or
installing a very complete data science ecosystem called anaconda
https://www.anaconda.com/what-is-anaconda/