On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 05:53, Tim Mackinnon <tim@testit.works> wrote:

> Does anyone remember why we decided to consider package tags (as in:
> Kernel-BasicObjects) not fully fledged sub-packages?
>
> The implication here is that extension methods can’t live on the tag (they
> live on the parent package - in the above case Kernel - and not
> Kernel-BasicObjects), and equally the code critic works on the package
> level and not on an individual tag. Equally, refactoring can work at the
> package level … the list goes on.
>
> Having decided that it seemed to make it more understandable that Exercism
> exercises would simply be tags of the package exercism (its tidy to have
> the exercises neatly organised under a common parent with some generic menu
> options), I am finding that the above are starting to bite me. Extensions,
> Code critic (and sometimes refactoring) are awkward or more difficult to
> explain, and I was left wondering what the rational was to not make the
> tags fully fledged sub projects?

I hope someone involved in the design will answer in more detail,
but overall what I remember from observed discussions is that
in moving from string-based Categorizations to RPackage objects there was
a tough decision made to keep compatibility with strings for sake of
interchange with
other dialects - and *perhaps* that impacted how package tags were designed,
and our Exercism use case is now just exposing some gap there.

> I’m now wondering if I should bite the bullet and migrate every exercise
> tag to being a fully formed project (although in most cases it seems
> overkill for a class and a test).

I have also the feeling that it may be overkill, but I've come to the same
conclusion
that the exercises are probably better as separate packages.

cheers -ben