Solomon, thank you for your additional insights. Of course we'll have to wait
for SQL Server 2019 to be adopted - tactful devops wait for SP2 of v4 to
change from v2 to v3 :-)

Indeed I solved the problem in NVARCHAR / NCHAR / NTEXT by adding the method
WideString>>#glorpPrintSQLOn: which is almost the same as
String>>#glorpPrintSQLOn: except that it checks whether the database
platform understands a message #prefixForUnicode. Then I subclassed
SQLServerPlatform as #SQLServerPlatformN with this constant which returns
$N.

To use this, one has to:
- define the field type in DescriptorSystem as 'platform nvarchar width: xx'
(or nchar, ntext)
- set the platform to SQLServerPlatformN (N for 'National Language Character
Set').

For now, I subclassed SQLServerPlatform if there will be any other additions
to SQL Server Glorp platform. In the future the constant should probably
become just an "ordinary" extension to Glorp's SQLServerPlatform.

These changes are now available at https://github.com/eftomi/pharo-ado.

Best wishes,
Tomaz