I guess its a carry over from Squeak and maybe Scratch which have more
focus on interactive media direct interaction than Pharo.
Personally I never use it and consider it too prominent, and think sinking
it one level to a World Menu Item would be nice.
What would be the arguments against doing that?

An alternative could be having it as a Task Bar menu item.

cheers -ben