Hi Steve

Significant things I like about Lua:

It is small and simple. It is even simpler that Smalltalk. I can explain Lua to
my children by telling them to write everything as functions. With Smalltalk,
navigating the IDE is difficult and getting to grips with the class structure
is far more difficult.

It is fast, especially LuaJit.

It is embedded in a wide variety of other software and can be used to script
said software, e.g., Redis, nginx, Love
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_applications_using_Lua).

It is also a superior alternative to bash, tcsh, etc for shell scripting.
LuaJit FFI is very straightforward.

Lua coroutines is concurrency done right and is very simple.

I use Lua Love (https://love2d.org/ ) to teach my children programming. It is a
very good transition from Scratch/Phratch. Games and apps can deployed to all
common platforms (Windows, Linux, Android, iOS).
I also have been looking at programming Roblox with Lua
(https://developer.roblox.com/en-us/learn-roblox/coding-scripts ) as an
alternative.
I use Lua Lapis (https://leafo.net/lapis/) for personal family sites. It runs
from inside nginx and is hellishly fast.

In summary, a small, embeddable, easy to use language with a wide variety of
uses.

Vince