--- Begin Message ---
Thanks Stéphane:

Sorry I did not answer your questions below earlier.   I often see your mails
on my iPad while having coffee.
By the time I got to my computer I had forgotten.

Answers below marked MKB:

> On May 23, 2020, at 3:48 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.duca...@inria.fr>
> wrote:
>
> Hi michael
>
> I’m sincerly sad about the bad experience you encounter (especially when I
> see how stable is the system on my
> machine — and I’m a bug magnet for any software — everything crashes with me
> — sadly enough).
>

>> I had been following the Developing a simple counter chapter.
>> All was well.
>> I created an iceberg repository and added my Project to it.
>> I committed the sources to git.
>> Still working OK.
>> Then I did a push of all that to my GitHub/MichaelKentBurns/MyCounter
>> repository.
>> I got a progress bar for the push which never made any progress.
>
> Can you tell us what is your OS?
>       version

MKB: MacOS 10.15.4.

>       pharo version

MKB: Pharo 8.0.0
Build information:
Pharo-8.0.0+build.1124.sha.0932da82f08175e906b0e2a8052120c823374e9f (64 Bit)

> Can you commit from the command line?

MKB: Yes, I’ve used git from a shell and several git Gui clients for years.
I started earlier (before I was introduced to Iceberg) by filing out my classes
into the top level of a git repo for this project.
Then I can commit and push from there to GitHub

> Are you using ssh or Https?

MKB:  I have probably used ssh, but more likely https.

> If ssh are you using an agent?

MKB: Not sure what you mean.  Not that I’m aware of.

> In Pharo 90 we are about to release a new C binding for libgit because the
> version we use is .25 and we will get to 1.0.
>
>> Instead I got the beachball spinner.  After quite some time I wanted to
>> interrupt it to see if I could recover, but I could find a way.
>> Eventually I had to force-quit.
>
> Arg.
>>
>> When I restarted my Pharo image, all of that work was lost because I had not
>> done a save.
>
> Your code is there.
> Open the change code.
> And you can reapply your changes.
> As a general principle the only thing that you can really lose is the method
> you are editing but did not compile
> (and all your code if you do not have write permissions but this is a bit
> normal)

MKB: I was able to recover all the changes.  Thanks.

>  <Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 10.41.56.png>
>

>> My Question: Is there some way to interrupt such a process?
>>
>> You should be able to push <meta-.> where meta is Ctrl / Alt / Command
>> depending on your OS.
>> i.e. push period and meta keys together.
>>
>> btw, in Pharo 7 I have been experiencing a few seconds lag before the
>> debugger appears,
>> such that it seems it didn't work so I end up hammering the <meta-.> key and
>> half a dozen debuggers show up.
>> Apart from needing to modify my behaviour, what have other experienced.
>> I understood there was some work lately to improve responsiveness, so maybe
>> I move to Pharo 9 soon.
>>
>> cheers -ben

> Stéphane Ducasse
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr <http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/> /
> http://www.pharo.org <http://www.pharo.org/>
> 03 59 35 87 52
> Assistant: Aurore Dalle
> FAX 03 59 57 78 50
> TEL 03 59 35 86 16
> S. Ducasse - Inria
> 40, avenue Halley,
> Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
> Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
> France

--- End Message ---