Thanks Hernan!

I will try to find out what the problem is with your shape file.

Btw is the code for reading/writing dbf files already available on github?

Hans

From: Hernán Morales Durand <hernan.mora...@gmail.com>
Sent: vrijdag 5 juni 2020 0:25
To: Any question about pharo is welcome <pharo-users@lists.pharo.org>
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] GIS support for Pharo

Hi Hans,

El jue., 4 jun. 2020 a las 6:07, Baveco, Hans
(<hans.bav...@wur.nl<mailto:hans.bav...@wur.nl>>) escribió:
Would be an interesting project..
An old link to possibly still useful code:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3317

Btw the shapefile support, from the ESRI spec, was done by me and is still
available on http://www.squeaksource.com/@CUT95k_uXmPU4uXY/HCmgtrop.

Thank you for the clarification (and actually sharing your work with ESRI
files!)
I added proper credits in the Github forked repo :
https://github.com/hernanmd/Shapes

I use it daily. I may have some fixes/additions, but in general the code as
provided works well (I suppose the code at smalltalkhub is still mostly the
same). Some shapefile formats are still missing, mostly because I never
encountered them..

You mean some types are missing? Because I get this error when I try to read
some SHP files: "Types > 20 are not yet accounted for"

I wrote this script to reproduce:

 | shpE legend urlRoot urlESRIFilePrefix urlESRIFileShp urlPath response
fileRef |

" Download Shapefile resources "
urlRoot :=
'https://github.com/nvkelso/natural-earth-vector/blob/master/110m_cultural/'.
urlESRIFilePrefix := 'ne_110m_populated_places'.
urlESRIFileShp := urlESRIFilePrefix , '.shp'.
urlPath := urlRoot , urlESRIFilePrefix.

#('.shx' '.dbf' '.shp') do: [ : ext |
| url |
url :=  (urlPath , ext , '?raw=true') asZnUrl.
(response := ZnEasy get: url) isSuccess
ifFalse: [ self error: 'Cannot download file' ].
fileRef := FileSystem disk workingDirectory / (urlESRIFilePrefix , ext).
fileRef writeStreamDo: [ : stream |
stream nextPutAll: ((ZnByteEncoder newForEncoding: 'koi8r') decodeBytes:
response contents ) ] ].

Once downloaded:

| urlESRIFilePrefix urlESRIFileShp shpE |
urlESRIFilePrefix := 'ne_110m_populated_places'.
urlESRIFileShp := urlESRIFilePrefix , '.shp'.

" Load and display it in Morphic "
shpE := ShapeEnsemble fromFile: urlESRIFileShp.

Maybe it's related with the fact they are encoded as koi8r?
I checked with Zinc downloading first from the browser:

| shpFile |
shpFile := 'ne_110m_admin_0_countries.shp' asFileReference.
[ shpFile binaryReadStreamDo: [ : in |
                (ZnCharacterEncoder detectEncoding: in upToEnd) identifier ] ]
        on: ZnCharacterEncodingError
        do: [ nil ].

Cheers,

Hernán

To read a complete shapefile one also needs to read dbf files. This was another
substantial effort http://www.squeaksource.com/@Y4HhnL90iyA2TmAb/X0sPqshM;
luckily  there was an older implementation.available to build upon.
Not sure whether nowadays there are other ways to read/write files old DBASE
format files...

Cheers,

Hans Baveco