> One more thought on this...  I assume you've seen Jupyter Notebooks?
> They're starting to see some use where I work (we now have our own
> 'enterprise server').  I recently took an intro class to see how it works,
> and how to use them.
>
> How much of a "Jupyter-style" notebook capability would the community be
> interested in?  By that I mean having the ability to mix 'rich'
> documentation with code and data to produce interactive 'notebooks' with
> similarities to what Jupyter does -- but simpler!  Jupyter is much too
> complicated…

I would not go that road for class and package comments.
Now we have a good infrastructure for doing this with Pillar.

> What you describe for enhanced comments sounds like a step in that
> direction...  Obviously Pharo is already oriented toward mixing code and
> data in one document, and enhancing the comments moves it closer to a
> notebook with richer documentation possibilities.
>
> So it seems to me that generalizing this "enhanced document capability" and
> making it more prominent (such as giving it its own type of window, rather
> than it being a browser pane tied to the code?) would take it closer yet to
> realizing a general, flexible "Pharo Notebooks" concept.

In the future (once I have finished making sure that we can write book in
microdown)
we could think about loading book in notebooks with a bit more liveness.
Now it requires man power and we are busy on other topics.
GT is already doing it.

> My understanding is that Offray's Grafoscopio is essentially what I'm
> describing, but maybe more oriented to data analysis & presentation..??  (He
> can say better than I, as I'm not sure how accurate that is.)  I am thinking
> of something that would include that, but maybe be more general-purpose.
>
> Part of this idea is to feature a "semi-automated" subset of Spec2 that
> makes it easier to get nice graphical UIs in a notebook fashion -- but does
> not require as much depth of understanding Spec2.  (All of Spec2 allows
> anyone to build anything.. but not everyone needs to build so much..?  This
> is the value of frameworks and selectable motifs, yes?)
>
> Could what I'm describing be a way for everyone to step easily into Spec2
> when its full flexibility for making GUIs isn't needed (yet)?  By this I'm
> implying code generators that create common/typical Spec2 framework classes
> & methods that would make up the front-end of the 'documentation' element of
> "Pharo Notebooks".  Pharo being Pharo, one could then customize further…

To me documenting framework is another level.
For now I would be more than happy if we would have a good old way
book containing tutorials about Spec2.

> Because "it's always easier to edit something than to create from a blank
> page", yes?
>
> I can see Pharo taking away "market share" from Jupyter Notebooks, by being
> simpler and easier to work with.  Data + Code + Document: All three elements
> being "live" and interactive.  Pharo has the first two.. What about the
> third?

Having a document renderer is a first step then after we can decide what is the
semantics
of certain boxes inside the texte and get some live and others not.
But this requires coding effort.

S.