Cheers

I restarted with smalltalk in the form of Pharo a few years back, so in a
somewhat similar situation. I have done several different things:
Contributed to a number of different things in the Pharo community, fixing
issues, commented on issues, and been involved in one of the sub-areas of Pharo
(markdown support in the system itself)
We own a small hobby farm of 30 sheeps with 50-60 lambs a year. I have made a
tool to help all the management of this.
I am responsible for memberships and fees in our kayakclub. I have made a
system which help me keep information consistent across the few platforms we
use to make sure all are billed the right amount.
My wife and I keep track of our pension stock portefolio ourselves using a
system I built (rather specific to the csv files I am able to pull from the
bank).

So, I believe one can build anything. The learning curve is somewhat steep, and
many libraries have odd names, the code quality varies from elegant to
over-engineered (in my view). But there is always friendly help on discord
which is very nice.

Best,

Kasper