Hey Guillermo what I’ve notice is that if you need to guarantee a line of text
is output (as you do for logging before a critical operation) then you :

Transcript show: ‘some log string’; cr

Doesn’t show output when piped to stdio (as when headless mode running on a
server). If non critical then I’m sure you can wait for a full buffer, but to
get guaranteed output the magic line (and I notice that the BA Bell library
does the same ) is:

Transcript show: ‘some log string’; cr; flush

You need the cr AND the flush - the image comment mentions sync - BUT this give
a prim failure on Ubuntu Linux - for which I will raise an issue (although
Richard says it’s a grey area anyway).

Given the prevalent use of “cr; show:” in the image, I had hoped we could flush
a line without a cr, but that doesn’t work (and probably doesn’t make sense in
the wider world where log tools want a guaranteed line to parse into log
format).

If we want Pharo to play nicely in server environments we should discourage
crTrace writing in the image and adopt traceCr writing OR better still have
some log writing interface we all use (with some common logfmt conventions like
error level) that maps to the transcript but has indirection to map to another
log provider. This said - Beacon works well, and tools generating events do let
you easily plug in your own and easily write show:’’;cr conventions yourself.
This was the case with Zinc which was nice.

Tim